Please read this short paper: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D058FBE0494487CD!4426&authkey=!ACD-G9DWqIe-OEg&ithint=file%2cpdf
It’s slightly over 2 pages.
Let’s plan to discuss the following questions:
- What are the basic ethical principles involved? (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/basic-principles-of-medical-ethics.html)
- Are there parallels to this debate in ophthalmology? Are there parallels in ophthalmology to the specific issues raised?
- What are the factors, ethical or otherwise, that would encourage a surgical trainee or residency program to participate a surgical mission in a developing country?
- What are the factors, ethical or otherwise, that would discourage a surgical trainee or residency program from participating in one of these missions?
- Does the AAO have an opinion on this topic?
Please feel free to email back with any other resources you’d like to share on this topic.
Faculty and fellows are invited.
Disclaimer: I am not an ethicist.